Book Club: The Great Good Place
Friday, July 23rd at 6 PM MT. Free, streaming online.
The Covid-19 crisis radically altered our critical social infrastructure. Let’s discuss the framework of a great social space. Our next book club discussion is The Great Good Place. Join Idaho Smart Growth on Friday, July 23rd at 6pm MT for a virtual book club discussion.
Join remotely from any internet-connected device. Email to RSVP. Meeting log in information will be shared via email.
About the Book:
The Great Good Place argues that “third places” are the heart of a community’s social vitality and the grassroots of democracy.
The author, an urban sociologist, demonstrates how and why these places are essential to community and public life. In exploring how these places work and the various roles they serve, the author offers placemaking tools and insight that can be useful to individuals and communities everywhere.
- How do third places relate to smart growth?
- Do you have a third place? What makes it a third place for you?
- How has your understanding of third places changed due to the pandemic?
- The author identified the following basic criteria for defining third places. Do you believe these are the right criteria? Is there anything you’d add or take away?
- On neutral ground
- A social leveler
- Conversation is the main activity
- Accessibility and accommodation
- They have regulars
- Low profile
- The mood is playful
- A home away from home
About the Book Club:
Looking for a fun way to enjoy books and meet new people? Join our book club discussions!
Discussions center on topics related to smart growth, in all its various forms. All discussions take place online and we encourage statewide participation. Gather with your local smart growth book nerds or meet new friends! All are welcome.