TAP Applications Open this Fall!
ITD will open a round of Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP*) grant applications this fall. Now is the time to identify and complete due diligence on projects. The projects will be selected for FY24 and FY25 funding years. Anyone who currently has a non-infrastructure grant should apply if you plan to provide continued services in those funding years.
Eligible projects include:
- Infrastructure: Design and/or construction of infrastructure and systems that will provide safe routes for non-drivers.
- Infrastructure: Design and/or construction of infrastructure to improve the ability of students who live within two miles of the school building to walk or bicycle to school.
- Non-Infrastructure activities: Safe routes to school coordination and education.
Eligible applicants include:
- Local government
- Regional transportation authority
- Transit agency
- Natural resource or public land agency
- School district, local education agency, or school
- Tribal government
- Nonprofit entity responsible for the administration of local transportation safety programs
- Any other local or regional governmental entity with responsibility for oversight of transportation
*The Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) provides funding for programs and projects defined as transportation alternatives, including on- and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities, infrastructure projects for improving non-driver access to public transportation and enhanced mobility, and safe routes to school educational projects.
Changes in Administration
The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) is the state agency responsible for managing the federally funded Transportation Alternatives Program. Recently, Idaho’s Local Highway Technical Assistance Council (LHTAC) has requested that they help administer the program. ITD has reviewed the request and is in agreement to hand over the day-to-day operations of the program to LHTAC. The formal change in roles and responsibilities has not yet been finalized and is still subject to ITD Board approval. In the interim, ITD’s Planning staff is working collaboratively with LHTAC staff on a graduated approach of transferring duties as the formal process is pursued. We will continue to keep you updated with the changes.